Monday, August 30, 2010

Cucumber Shrimp Soup (Trina)

Cucumber Shrimp Soup

Recipe from 1 Stock, 100 Soups
by Linda Doeser

Recipe 74

You can find this recipe on page 166 of this wonderful cookbook
about taking 1 basic recipe and making 100 kinds of soup

These are the ingredients you will need for this recipe:

Basic Vegetable Stock
Cucumbers
Scallions
Fresh Dill
Cornstarch
Water
Green Food Coloring
Peeled Cooked Shrimp
Light Cream
Salt and Pepper

Serves 6 


This was my first soup from the book since making the stock.  I was a little nervous because it is a cold soup, and I wasn't sure how I'd like it.  However, I am trying to make the soups that have seasonal ingredients right now, and I have plenty of cucumbers outside.  I don't think I have ever peeled a cucumber before...it makes them look kind of funny.  The scallions and dill were also from my garden. 


All the veggies get simmered in the soup stock.  I used dried dill because it was late and I didn't feel like fighting the mosquitoes and other various winged insects outside in the pitch dark.


After the veggies are done, I took them out and ran them through my food processor to make them smooth.  While the pot was vacant, I cooked the little shrimp.  When it was done, I put the shrimp on a plate, and  I returned the soup to the pot.


While the soup reheated, I mixed a paste of cornstarch and water, and then added the paste to the soup.  I stirred the mixture until the soup thickened, and then added salt and pepper to taste.  At this point I added the shrimp back in.


Then, you should cool the soup for at least 4 hours.  I did mine overnight so I could eat it today.  I should mention that I knew I would be the only one home to eat the soup, so I halved the recipe, so yes, it does look like a smaller amount.  When you are ready to serve, add a whirl of light cream and enjoy cold!  Have you ever made cold soups? 

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment