Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Basic Vegetable Stock (Trina)

Basic Vegetable Stock

 Recipe from 1 Stock, 100 Soups
by Linda Doeser

You can find this recipe on page 10 of this wonderful cookbook about
taking 1 basic recipe and making 100 kinds of soup

These are the ingredients you will need for this recipe:

Sunflower Oil 
Onion
Leeks
Celery
Potato
Carrots
Parsnips
Turnip
Bay Leaves
Parsley
White Wine

Makes 4 cups 



This stock is the basic recipe from which all the soups in the book are based.  I followed it pretty closely the first time.  I did not include turnips because I am kind of burned out on those after the spring harvest.  First I chopped the potatoes, onions, and celery.  You can see them simmering in the pot.


After the first veggies are softened, in go the root vegetables.  Next is the bay leaves, parsley, and white wine.  I love the smell of the wine cooking off the veggies.  When the alcohol has evaporated, add water and bring to a boil.  Then you are going to let the stock simmer for over an hour.


It looks and smells fantastic.  I had to switch to a larger pot after this picture because I tripled the recipe.  I wanted to make enough to make 3 recipes off one batch.  Not all of the recipes take the same amount of stock, so I had to look ahead and add up how much the first 3 soups I wanted to make needed. 


After the soup has simmered, I put it through a strainer.  I pressed gently on the back of the veggies with a spoon to get as much broth out as possible.  Look at the beautiful golden color of the broth!


After it cooled off, I put it into glass jars with these neat plastic twist on caps. They are reusable and can be used in the freezer.  I think they are neat for when you make something and can most of it, but keep on for the fridge. Unfortunately, I think I let mine simmer too much over the hour, and it evaporated too much of the water.  I was hoping for 12 cups but only got 9 cups.  Next time I won't cook it so long, or I'll add more water.

This stock can be adapted to use the veggies you have on hand in your garden or fridge.

Happy Cooking!

1 comment: