Monday, September 13, 2010

Tomato & Smoked Shellfish Soup (Trina)

Tomato & Smoked Shellfish Soup

Recipe from 1 Stock, 100 Soups
by Linda Doeser

Recipe 75

You can find this recipe on page 168 of this wonderful cookbook
about taking 1 basic recipe and making 100 kinds of soup

These are the ingredients you will need for this recipe:

Basic Vegetable Stock
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Shallot
Sherry Vinegar
Sugar
Dijon Mustard
Tabasco Sauce
Smoked Oysters or Smoked Mussels
Salt and Pepper
Croutons, to serve

Serves 6


This soup was fairly simple to make. All you do is chop up the veggies and mix in a large bowl with the stock and the other ingredients.


I didn't have time to peel and seed fresh tomatoes, so I used some diced canned tomatoes.  I was also out of dijon mustard, so I substituted a yummy roasted red pepper one.  Add salt and pepper to taste and mix it together.


I have never dealt with smoked oysters before.  I have eaten the oysters that come in a regular can, and I dip them in egg and flour and fry them at Christmas.  However, these oysters in a tin were a little different.  I get a little weirded out by cold shellfish.  I am easily bothered by textures when something is cold.  I rinsed the oysters and tried to remain optimistic. 


I mixed it all together and let it chill overnight.  I toasted some bread to make croutons, and when I was ready to serve, I chopped them up and put some on top of my soup.  It looked kind of pretty.  I really, really, tried to like this soup, but I just couldn't do it. I am not having the best luck with cold soups.  Maybe I am not a cold soup kind of gal.  So I don't get discouraged, my next one will be a hot soup with no shellfish!  And, if you are not as neurotic as me, you may like this soup.  I just get weird about things.  Anyways,

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment